||The specialty of Oral & Maxillofacial Pathology is a confluence of basic sciences and clinical dentistry. This department deals with the academic disciplines of:
- Oral Anatomy, Histology, Physiology and Embryology (part of I year undergraduate course)
- Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology, and Microbiology (part of II & III year undergraduate course)
With these subjects, students gain knowledge about the normal oral cavity and the oral cavity in the state of disease, thus forming a foundation for the understanding and diagnosis of head and neck diseases. To achieve this purpose, the department has a multitude of comprehensive teaching aids, such as PowerPoint presentations, models, charts, microscopic slides, microscope attached to a CCTV, internet facility; and in addition, conducts quiz, seminars and discussions.
Since its inception in the year 1992, the Department of Oral & Maxillofacial Pathology has endeavored in imparting knowledge to under graduates. And then in the year 2008, a mile stone year for the department, a well-equipped Histopathology / Cytopathology laboratory was established, thus contributing to the diagnosis of the of Oral and maxillofacial diseases that afflict humans. To add another feather to the crown, Postgraduate (Master of Dental Surgery) course has been started in the department from June 2012 with three seats.
Our department is outfitted with many sophisticated equipments, such as tissue embedding centre, cold plate, soft tissue microtome, hot air oven, ph meter, autoclave, digital balance, stereomicroscope, trinocular microscope with CCTV and camera attachment, binocular student microscopes and a pentahead research microscope being the cynosure of the department.
The highlight of the Department is its highly efficient, dedicated staff - 1 Professor and HOD and 3 Readers, who are involved in teaching, guiding and mentoring the students and carrying out the smooth functioning of the department.
The department has a self sufficient, well maintained library consisting of textbooks and atlases, as well as informative CDs. The library includes both the specialty books as well as books on basic subjects. The faculty has also added their personal books to the library.
SERVICES OFFERED BY THE DEPARTMENT
- Histopathological diagnosis of Oral & Maxillofacial diseases.
- Capturing photomicrographs of histopathological slides for other departments, for use in case presentations / paper presentations / poster presentations/ dissertation work.
- Aid in postgraduate dissertation work & research by providing the use of Stereomicroscope & Research microscope (the research microscope encompasses different applications including bright field, dark field, phase contrast, polarizing & fluorescent microscopy).
- Issue of study models & other teaching aids to other departments.
- Immunohistochemical analysis.